Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Education Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
District of Columbia Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for District of Columbia on
Q: What law can I use for the Dist. of Columbia to be able to use religious exemption from the Covid vaccine for my child?

This is for my child to be able to attend school this month.

Matthew T. Famiglietti
Matthew T. Famiglietti
answered on Aug 3, 2022

You would need to get medical documentation from your child's doctor stating the child has a disability that prevents him or her from receiving the covid shot safely. I am attaching the exemption: Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Education Law for District of Columbia on
Q: My former college hasn't refunded money that they weren't supposed to take. Can I take legal action?

I withdrew from GWU in October. They took money from my private lender for the spring semester. I called in January and was told that the money was refunded. I called again on March 17th and was originally told I would have to fill out a form. I was later emailed that I wouldn't have to fill... View More

Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
answered on Mar 27, 2017

You may need to file a complaint with the school immediately. If they don't respond in a satisfactory manner, you may need to sue. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for District of Columbia on
Q: "Does the ADA put an affirmative duty on public schools to provide an accommodation to a policy for a disabled student?

What notice what a parent have to give that would trigger an ADA accommodation for a public school policy

Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
answered on Dec 9, 2016

The ADA requires public schools to provide reasonable accommodations for students falling under ADA protections so long as the student/ parent properly and timely discloses a valid disability listed under the ADA. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Municipal Law for District of Columbia on
Q: Can the University Police confiscate and not return items that are not illegal?

I am currently attending a private university in the District of Columbia. The Campus Police department confiscated my pocket knife citing "weapon's law violation" and are charging me, through the university's justice system, with that charge. My question is the Police Officer... View More

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Nov 9, 2015

Yes. That is the evidence to be used in the informal trial against you. I suggest that you hire an attorney for this. What does the student handbook say?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.