Philadelphia, PA asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: What to do if my father didn't renew my green card and I'm about to turn 18

Hello, I came to America in 2013, I'm now about to turn 18 and my green card expired in 2015, my father did not renew it and I don't know what steps to take, is there any way you could help?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kevin L Dixler

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: More information is needed. How did your father pursue immigration? It seems that he may have obtained what is called conditional resident status. Yet, it is unclear whether he obtained conditional resident status through a spouse or investment. This means that you may have to file a unique form and present additional evidence.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible to avoid further complications. The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Dawn Chere Sequeira

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bethesda, MD

A: Most likely. Just because you have an expired card does not mean that you no longer has LPR status. Your green card is an investment. Please meet with an immigration attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.