Louisville, CO asked in Juvenile Law, Sexual Harassment and Criminal Law for North Dakota

Q: I'm 16 and pregnate, the father is 18 how do we keep him from getting in trouble so he can support us?

Under 2 years apart in age, my parents kicked me out and disowned me. Won't sign for us to get married. Would not listing him as father protect him? I also heard that I could get a court to declare me independent then I could marry him? We live in North Dakota. Need an answer quickly please.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Duluth, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: If you were older than fifteen at the time the child was conceived and the other party is within three years of your age and the act was consensual, no law has been broken.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.