Canal Winchester, OH asked in Adoption, Elder Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: I need advice to help an abused teen

She is 13, a neighbor of mine. She has told me that her father pins her against the wall and smacks her face and that he and her mother beat her with a belt, not stopping until she cries. She has told church officials, family, and teachers but the situation persists. I want to help her, her mother keeps telling her if she tries to call cps that they will just believe the parents and take the 13y/o to jail. I have an idea for a solution but not sure if there is a legal way to do it, the minor has expressed a desire to just move in with my family, this would leave her close to her siblings and parents but will allow me to protect her. Any advice for the situation would be appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Nobody is going to take her to jail. What firsthand knowledge do you have of her abuse? Did you witness it? Can't you go to CPS with her to file the report? Have church, family, and school already tried that? Does she have siblings that also are abused or can go with her to CPS with you to support her statements? CPS has to take the lead. That is where a solution must start. Perhaps you could obtain temporary custody. Use the Find a Lawyer tab and talk to a local family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.