Sanford, NC asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: I'm 20 years old and my boyfriend is 19 I want to move in with him and he wants the same thing he lives with his mom

Does he have any legal right to let me move in if its his choice as an legal adult and his mom said no when she doesn't have any guardian ship over him any more

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: This really ought to be common sense for you but if mom owns or is otherwise in control of the house (ie via a lease) and mom said no - that's pretty much all you need to know. Be respectful and let that be the end of it. Even if boyfriend does have some legal right to allow you to live there over mom's objection - you shouldn't, Now if you talk to mom and convince her to give it a try - that's a different story but to basically 'force your way in' over her objection is trashy and classless. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.