Gaithersburg, MD asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Banking and Probate for Maryland

Q: As one beneficiary on a bank account, how can I collect my share of funds if another beneficiary won't cooperate?

My grandma died in December 2015 and left the funds in her bank account to me, my uncle, and my aunt. The funds are to be split equally among all 3 of us and will only be disbursed when we have all notarized a form and submitted it to the bank. My aunt has refused to get her form notarized, meaning none of us have received the funds.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Sue her and/or the bank.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.