Q: Can i get help if i have ruined my life in my country and i have an american child?

Good morning, my child is an american citizen. I am her only parent as her father disappeared before she was borned. Im from the Carribean and we are currently in the USA. I live on a 6 mile long small island and word got around about me and a guy having an affair. I lost my job and housing because i worked for him. I have no family in the Caribbean so we dont have anywhere to live. We are staying with a friend in the USA. Is there anyway i can get help in staying here. Everything im saying is 100% true. I really need help. If i go back we will not have anywhere to live. Im the only support we have. I have no money so things are getting harder by the day. Please help me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda B Cook
Amanda B Cook
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL

A: Children can file immediate relative petitions for their parents after they've turned 21 years of age. However, there are a lot of other facts missing from your post that may be relevant to your case, and you should speak to an experienced immigration attorney to see if you could qualify for anything like asylum, protective status, or parole. If you are in Connecticut, the following link might help in finding someone:


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.