Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Connecticut Employment Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for Connecticut on
Q: How much would it cost me to bring a sexual harassment/voyeurism case forth?

I filed a sexual harassment complaint on a coworker and I potentially have a case for voyeurism and illegal dissemination of an inappropriate photo taken without my knowledge or consent, at work. What would it cost me to bring this case to court? How often are these cases won and is it even worth... Read more »

Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman answered on Jun 4, 2019

I would contact the local police and see if they are interested in prosecuting the matter on a criminal basis first. A lot would depend on the particular facts of your individual case. If that does not work see if you can find a civil attorney to accept the case on a contingency basis. A... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Personal Injury for Connecticut on
Q: I recently got hurt in a job where I get paid under the table. What can I do?
Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg answered on Jul 6, 2018

You can file a personal injury claim. In the alternative you may be able to file under workers compensation. I would be interested in speaking with you further about this matter. I see you are in Bridgeport. I am two minutes away in Stratford and my office handles matters like this one regularly.... Read more »

Q: Can i get help if i have ruined my life in my country and i have an american child?

Good morning, my child is an american citizen. I am her only parent as her father disappeared before she was borned. Im from the Carribean and we are currently in the USA. I live on a 6 mile long small island and word got around about me and a guy having an affair. I lost my job and housing because... Read more »

Amanda B Cook
Amanda B Cook answered on Jun 1, 2017

Children can file immediate relative petitions for their parents after they've turned 21 years of age. However, there are a lot of other facts missing from your post that may be relevant to your case, and you should speak to an experienced immigration attorney to see if you could qualify for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: My husband is a LLC owner from Iowa who was shut down last week by Dept. of Labor for no worker's comp, and will be fine

Dept. of Labor says he will be fined for no workers comp. We have no idea how to proceed

Charles Joseph Stiegler
Charles Joseph Stiegler answered on Apr 26, 2017

Contact a local attorney. You need legal assistance far beyond what can be provided in this simple Q&A format.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: If a job application asks about past illnesses, whom defines past illnesses, me, or my diagnosis history?
Sally A. Roberts
Sally A. Roberts answered on Aug 23, 2016

Your answer is perplexing, as you have not explaied why you seem to disagree with your own medical records as to diagnosis history and whether there is a valid way to dispute it.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: I am a teacher and took FMLA leave. Snow days occurred during the leave. Can my employer require me to make up the days

I'm a teacher in CT and the snow days occurred during my 12 weeks of FMLA. My employer is requiring that I use 12 concurrent weeks and not intermittent leave. Am I required to come back in 12 weeks and still have to make up the time (snow days) at the end of the year? US Dept of Labor said no and... Read more »

Kristan Peters-Hamlin
Kristan Peters-Hamlin answered on Jul 8, 2011

If the employer is counting the snow days against your FMLA leave, you cannot be required to make it up. But the employer should not count the snow days against your FMLA leave, in which case you could be required to make it up.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: Am I Trespassing if I'm picking up my last pay check?
Kristan Peters-Hamlin
Kristan Peters-Hamlin answered on Jul 8, 2011

The answer depends on whether your employer has informed you, in writing or otherwise, that you are not entitled to come back on the property and your paycheck has been mailed to you. A finding of trespass turns in most states on whether you have been notified not to come onto the property and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: Does a dirty urine mean automatic violation of zero tolerance probation?

I've been clean and in compliance for over a year now, work, have a car an apartment, and a good relationhip with my PO.

Kristan Peters-Hamlin
Kristan Peters-Hamlin answered on Jul 8, 2011

Please clarify your question: if what you mean is that an employee was on probation and one of the conditions of the probation was that there would be zero tolerance for drug abuse, then a dirty urine sample could mean a violation unless there is a legitimate justification for the dirty sample,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Connecticut on
Q: In connecticut, if a sales person is terminated and there are executed contracts in effect, when is the employer

Responsible to pay commissions?

Kristan Peters-Hamlin
Kristan Peters-Hamlin answered on Jul 8, 2011

Please clarify what you mean by executed contracts. Are these executed contracts that the sales person executed and for which the salesperson would normally receive commissions pursuant to an employment agreement or contract with the employer? If so, then the employer would be responsible for... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.