Rancho Cucamonga, CA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: If a 17 year old runs away from home to live with adult boyfriend & fam & parent won't report it should teacher report ?

1 Lawyer Answer
David Dastrup
David Dastrup
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Torrance, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are a teacher, you have certain responsibilities. If you are unaware or unsure what to do, maybe talk to someone who is more familiar. The principle at the school has usually dealt with situations like this more than an inexperienced teacher, and might be a good resource, although the principle will have to advise you to do your duty, that it is your decision. There are forms to submit. You maybe opening pandora's box, but you may be obligated to, it depends... A wise attorney on this site or any site is not going to tell you how to proceed. If you want an attorney to tell you what to do, you would have to hire an attorney that is fully aware of the situation and then able to advise of how to proceed.

Also, there is usually more to a story than an outsider is aware. Presumably, that is what a social worker will find out when making the house call, or calls in this situation where the child is not at home. As you presumably already know, someone the age of majority should not be in certain types of relationships with someone the age of minority, which is what you seem to be suggesting here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.