Oneonta, NY asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Landlord evicted us, went to court and we only have 4 days. Shouldn't it be a little longer like 30 days. I live in NY

We were evicted for failure to pay rent even though a charity was going to mail a check for our rent to her. We went to court and they gave us 4 days.. we need more time and we have 3 babies. Can't we get longer such as 30 days? I live in Troy NY I don't know why it won't let me change the location.

2 Lawyer Answers
Mitchell A. Nathanson
Mitchell A. Nathanson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It is difficult to determine what stage of the eviction process you are in from your question. It sounds as if you appeared in court and requested an adjournment and were granted four days, but you could mean that a judgment was issued and the judge stayed the warrant of eviction for four days. Or, the warrant has already been issued and you were told you had four days to vacate. In each of those scenarios, you cannot get 30 days, at this point, unless you have a basis for an extension.


Barry E. Janay agrees with this answer

Barry E. Janay
Barry E. Janay pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Livingston, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Go to the court ask for the pro se help to get an Order to Show Cause to postpone the eviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.