Q: My ex received welfare and I lived with him at the time. Social Services filed a case against me to be reimbursed.

Over the years I have also received aid from the county. I went to court years ago over this and I don't owe the money. The father never asked for or wanted $ thru the county. I have also gotten married and had a son who is now 18. My husband is now disabled and we are broke and homeless. My mother in Ohio died and left me some money 2 years ago and I just found out but when my sister went to get it for me it was gone. The state of CA took all of it. We were going to get a place to live with that money. Is that legal?

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to file a claim with the California franchise tax board to receive your money back. Gather your evidence together to show that you were not receiving public aid at the time and that any income you had was your own, and that is what you were using to support yourself. If you were married at the time, however, California community property law provides that any debt incurred during the marriage is jointly owned by both husband and wife. So if your husband sought and received welfare or other public assistance during the marriage, you could in actuality be held responsible for reimbursing the state to the extent that your husband did not do that himself. Your claim would therefore be against your ex-husband, and not the state franchise tax board. You probably need the advice of a good family law attorney who is knowledgeable on community property debt and the responsibility of one's spouse to reimburse the other spouse for debts incurred but not repaid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.