Kingston, PA asked in Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I received a false citation, do i fight it? And if so, what are the downfalls if I can't prove the truth?

I was in an accident on August 19th,2017. I somehow rear ended someone. I don't remember how but i remember the impact. I was sent to the er. The other person refused the ambulance. I sustained injuries and car damage. His small truck flipped on its top with minimal damage. The officer said he would contact me to get my statement and never did. I recieved a false citation in the mail stating i was speeding. I never speed because it's my job on the line so I'm extra careful. Especially because I'm a single pregnant mother with two kids at home. I'm all they have. The citation had many errors written on it especially the spelling of many words. Do i fight this? Can I find a pro bono lawyer since I'm so low income? I've lost everything, my job, my income, my car, and I've gained ptsd and injuries and almost lost my baby because of the high anxiety and stress of the whole situation. I can't afford this. The other person is covered with my insurance, I'm not.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You plead not guilty. Spelling errors aren't critical. He has to show a witness stated your speed.

If you hit badly enough to flip a vehicle, some ticket's going to come out of it. Sorry, but you have to realize you rear end someone you will be at fault for something. So plead not guilty, get a copy of the police report ($15), then if you want you can call me and I'll walk you through what you have to do.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.