New City, NY asked in Employment Law for New York

Q: Forced to work for a second company for free

I work for a company (corporation) one owner and three years ago he opened a second company ( corporation ) with two partners different corporate address but makes his office employees

Work for both without paying us.

I've been here the longest

We get one check and sells our services to the other company. This has forced me to work at a ridiculous pace and longer days without any overtime pay. I'm 57 years old and I'm getiing close to retirement

What are my options? Can he be compelled to pay me for working for the other company for free? Do I have a case?

Related Topics:
4 Lawyer Answers
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should sit down with an attorney and go over the facts of your case. It sounds like you have a strong case for an unpaid hours action against your employer.

  • Hauppauge, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should not be working for free. Your employer is required to pay you for every hour worked. You should let you know know what you are being paid per hour and how many hours you work every week.

You should speak with an employment attorney to make sure you are being paid properly. A reputable employment attorney will not charge you to listen to you describe your situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

  • Montclair, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Please email me privately, I can assist you.

  • Tarrytown, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Sounds like you might. You should call some employment lawyers.

No employer shall permit any person to suffer employment without compensation. It's federal and state law. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.