Ozark, AL asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Alabama

Q: I was wrongfully Terminated based on accusations that weren't verified.Who do I contact and can I sue on low income?

they pitted my managers word over my own with no evidence to back anything up. i was called a dishonest person and fired. i have proof with recepits and times to prove my innocence and cameras will show that i am not lying. but noone ever checked. what can i do? im out of a job for no reason and want to find justice. i dont know if its based on discrimination towards my race or my disability with stuttering, but i have no idea where to start to get help. i know its wrong and they cant get away with this.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: In Alabama an employer can fire you for any reason at all -- provided that reason is not because of your race, disability gender etc. If you believe you were fired because of one of those kinds of reasons, you first have to go to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and file a complaint. They will then investigate and decide if you can file a lawsuit. They do this with something called a "permission to sue" letter.

If you were fired because your employer believes you were stealing, the EEOC can't help you. You should first use that process if you can make out a case that you were discriminated against because of reasons contrary to Federal law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.