Laurel, MD asked in Civil Litigation and Employment Law for District of Columbia

Q: I was fired in DC on 8/28/17 I had 98 hrs of vacation time. How can I receive compensation my accrued vacation time?

My former employer refuses to pay me for the time. The handbook says that any unused vacation time is paid on your final check. I informed him that I did not receive it on my last check. He sent me a letter stating that he's not paying me for the vacation time because I was terminated. The employee handbood does not designate that vacation is only paid if you resign. How do I move forward with obtaining my earned pay for leave?

1 Lawyer Answer
June Marie Marshall
June Marie Marshall

A: You can file a claim with the Washington DC Office of Wage and Hour Compliance. The website is

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.