Hamilton, NY asked in Employment Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for New York

Q: In NY State, in the public sector unionized workplaces, how do the parties (workers and employers) enforce their rights?

1 Lawyer Answer
James Francis Barna
James Francis Barna
  • Cazenovia, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This is a very broad question that can be answered in many ways, but broadly in New York there is legislation (the Taylor Law) that sets up a system of procedures and protections for public sector employers and employees. Under this system, employees have to serve a probationary period after they are hired, but after that probationary period, most employees are protected by "just cause" job protections. That is, the employer must have an objectively good reason to terminate an employee, which must be based on good evidence. Employee discipline can be challenged in a grievance procedure, which ultimately leads to an arbitration procedure before a neutral party (not a government official). Most employees in government service are in a union, which bargains with the state employer for pay and benefits. If bargaining is unsuccessful, the parties can refer the issues to an administrative judge who decides the disputed issues. In exchange for public employers agreeing to bargain with the unions, public unions by law are not allowed to strike.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.