Norcross, GA asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Georgia

Q: I keep getting harassed by debt collectors over a debt that was not mine and was included in a bankruptcy. Its been 14yr

Debt collectors are still harassing me via phone and letter over a cell phone bill that belonged to my mother. The company that issued the collection claims the account was in my name, however I was just an added line on to my mothers account. I also was a minor when my phone plan was added on to hers. My mother has since declared bankruptcy in which this outstanding bill was included. This issue originally reared its ugly head when I previously applied for a home loan. It was an up-hill battle but the issue was resolved (or so I thought) and I was able to obtain the mortgage I needed. Since then (about 4 years ago), I haven't been contacted regarding this collection. I now am receiving harassing phone calls and letters. These calls make me not even want to look at my phone, the stress is too much and I have no clue how to make this go away for good aside from paying money I don't have for a debt that isn't mine. Any tips you all may have will greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
David Humphreys
David Humphreys
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Santa Fe, NM

A: from the sound of your email you have a very solid case. You need a lawyer to represent you. You should not pay anything. You have claims for invasion of privacy and likely, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Search the internet or contact my office if you'd like.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.