Plaquemine, LA asked in Employment Law, Sexual Harassment, Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Louisiana

Q: I'm currently on leave for PTSD caused by sexual harassment. The owners were aware I was sexually abused when younger.

I've been subjected to the harassment at work for 12 years by another manager. He was fired for harassment by his previous employer. In addition to the harassing behavior, he started a rumor that I was having an affair with another supervisor. As a result of the rumor, other employees have made horrible comments about me. Another employee made humiliating sexual jesters behind my back which was witnessed. I reported each incident to the owner. The company has a 0 tolerance sexual harassment policy but both employees are still employed. A manager told the employee what I reported which caused hostile work environment. I suffered a mental break down as a result. I am the only female manager and paid less than male employees. One of the male employees can't spell and the other can't work a computer. Should I report this to the EEOC and let them mediate or get a right to sue letter and take it to court. What are my chances of winning in Court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Natalie Blackman
Natalie Blackman
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Employment law cases are fact sensitive so I cannot assess your chances of winning in Court based on the information provided; however, you should definitely file a claim with the EEOC. Mediation is optional; however, if your employer agree to it, it would not hurt you to go through mediation. If mediation fails, you can still request a Right to Sue (after 180 days) and take it to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.