Philadelphia, PA asked in Consumer Law, Business Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Employment Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Hello. I brought an age-discrimination suit pro sein the Phila. Court of Common Pleasin 2016 . The defendants were a

Phila.-based electrician's union,

IBEW-98. I alleged that the union

failed to admit me into an apprentice program due to my age of 60, despite very high

written test scores.I reached an out-of-court settlement with the

union for the nominal sum of

$2000 plus filing costs, for a total

of $2355.00 .An agreement was

prepared by the union attorney, which I signed and returned.

The difficulty with this settlement arose with the union's

liability insurance company, This

was USLI, Inc., in Montgomery

County, Pa. In clearing the settlement with Medicare as

required by law, USLI provided

erroneous information, using a

Medicare code of 30000 for "anxiety", suggesting that my claim had a medical component, which it did not. Consequently,

medical bills which I incurred in 2014 were erroneously associated by Medicare with the

IBEW-98 settlement. I believe that I have a case against USLI for

negligent misrepresentation.Would you agree?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: No. They should help you by retracting the document. But it's not misrepresntation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.