Myrtle Beach, SC asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: My friend was assaulted by her husband but the police didn't arrest him. What can she do to press charges?

He left marks on her throat from choking her, bruises on her leg, ear and lip from punching her, and the police let him go after they found him "sleeping", drunk in his car. She finally got them to issue a warrant for harassment after he threatened her in a message but still haven't even taken the warrant to a judge and refuse to give her a restraining order since he hasn't been arrested. What steps can she take to get him arrested and to protect herself and children?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lee A. Koch
Lee A. Koch
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Go to a different police station and report the crime. It is up to the police as to whether they will pursue the case or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.