Boonville, NY asked in Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for New York

Q: I need a lawyer to represent me for unemployment,and sexual harassment and workplace violence.

I have been complaining to several people at Tops Markets about the work place harassment and the abuse.I was then fired for a excuse to get me out.they agreed in writing to uncontested unemployment then they sent in a damming claim letter.

3 Lawyer Answers
V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You need to call some employment lawyers. Initial phone consultations are often no charge. We need specific facts from you. Was the harassment illegal? (i.e. based on race, religion, sex, etc...)

Employers can not decide whether any employee receives unemployment benefits. Only the Department of Labor makes that call. Request a hearing before an ALJ timely and state the reason your employer used to fire you. Not the reason you think they fired you for.

Getting unemployment is much different than pursuing a discrimination charge. But if you lose your unemployment benefits claim how will you prove discrimination? Good luck.

Michael Diederich Jr.
Michael Diederich Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Stony Point, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should speak with an employment lawyer. Some employment lawyers, such as my office, provide a free telephone consultation. Unlawful employment discrimination or reprisal often directly relates to an unemployment insurance claim.

Barry E. Janay
Barry E. Janay pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Livingston, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Email privately, I can assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.