Woodbridge, VA asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Virginia

Q: My mom was served for 12000 credit card debt to BOA, papers sent to bro's house, we do not live there. How to proceed?

The court date is a couple weeks away, just found out. I am POA and full-time caregiver for mom (she has dementia), we live in her house, she gets SS and small pension, no assets other than house. Could offer 3k lump sum to settle, but is that the right move? Do I even need to worry about her getting a judgment, what can they take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert R Weed
Robert R Weed
  • Annandale, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Well, they can attach a lien to the house. This is important enough to talk to a Consumer lawyer. National Association of Consumer Advocates is one place to look.

Matthew Lane Kreitzer agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.