Dothan, AL asked in Employment Law and Personal Injury for Alabama

Q: Can I sue Dorsey trailers for firing me for going in rehab

My husband worked at Dorsey Trailer from 2012-2015. Left to work at walmart for a year and returned to Dorsey July of this year. They knew he was alcoholic and wrote him up once or twice for drinking on the job during his first employment with them. Since his return, his immediate supervisor has allowed him to bring Vidka to work ever single day. He even let him use his vehicle to go to beer store. I drive Brian to and from work since his drivers license were suspended for dui. So he doesn't have his car there, but was allowed to use his suoervisors truck. He has several absences, all related to his alcoholism, and provided documentation. He was recently hospitolized and transfered to a mental health facility and will go from there to an in patient 28 day rehab program.

I have saved messages between myself and his supervisor duscussing the matter, including his statements that he would address the issue. He did no such thing, he contributed to his drinking right up until hospito

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Unlikely but the best thing to do is consult a member of the Alabama Trial Lawyers Assn who handles employment issues and see what they say; they give free consults.. If they did allow him to use other vehicles to get booze it's possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.