Raeford, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Libel & Slander for North Carolina

Q: Can we stop my husbands ex from blackmailing him to get back with her by allowing him to see the kids she took?

She has this kid asking why he doesn’t want to be there with him, when he is moving in with them. The child has bad cerebral palsy and had no idea my husband existed. She had her husband that she married the day she got divorced adopt them. The situation almost killed him before and now she is also trying to ruin my family. She has slandered us to my ex to try and help him get custody of my kids. She says it is about the kids but it has to just be the two of them and the kids. She is saying that calls are ok but to get anymore he has to be willing to abide by her demands. This is insane!!!!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The facts you have presented make no sense. If the kid has cerebral palsy to the point he had no idea your husband exists, then how is he no questioning why he doesn't want to be there and more importantly how is she demanding anything if the child has been adopted - how is this any of your or your husbands concern now? It sounds very much to me like this is something you just need to cut out of your life altogether and ignore - if she intrudes on your life, have her arrested for some form of harassment and / or take out a restraining order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.