Alexandria, VA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Virginia

Q: The 11 yo child I am supporting was born in VA, I lived in PA. Child is not mine after 11 yrs what can I do?

I find out he is not mine what right do I have even though I signed the paternity acknowledgement in the hospital after not sleeping for a day and coming down from PA to see the child who was born early.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If a father finds out he is not, in fact, the father, in Virginia he can file a motion to disestablish paternity, which can allow for a DNA test. Unfortunately, there is not much to be done about the money that is already paid. That is why if you believe you aren't the father, you should file something quickly. You would be well served to speak with a family law attorney local to the area where the child lives.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.