Saint Louis, MO asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Divorce for Illinois

Q: Can my ex husband sue me for not being able to pay on a joint account that was declared mine in the divorce decree

I am in another state helping my family member with their kid because they are in the hospital and I am unable to work because of this he is saying I could face jail time and fines because I'm not paying on it because I'm unable to work at this time

1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You haven't provided enough info to allow for a complete answer, but I can say this much. Our law is far from perfect, but it is not without understanding. He can take you back to court and seek to have you held in contempt for failing to pay what you were supposed to pay under your Judgment, but the Court will not punish you if your failure to pay was for a good reason.Jail time and other punishments are only given to those who fail to comply with a court order "without compelling cause or justification". Without knowing ALL of your facts, you do not seem to fall within that category.

James G. Ahlberg agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.