Cranberry Twp, PA asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: How do I find court records for a case in North Carolina?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Will Blackton
Will Blackton
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Do you have a case number? You can call the clerk of court in the county where the case was heard and request the records. There may be a cost to have the records mailed to you or the clerk may fax records for free within a few days of the request.

You can also go to the county court house and search the records index by party name to locate the case number. Once you have the case number, you can request the physical case file in the records room at the appropriate county court house.

Different counties have different record retention policies. For example, Wake county, one of the most populous, destroys records earlier than less populated counties. This process may differ for criminal cases, but calling the clerk of court is probably your best first step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.