Antioch, CA asked in Consumer Law, Federal Crimes, Elder Law and Stockbroker Fraud for California

Q: I just found out my mother in laws ira and stocks were stolen by her fin adviser,is there any recourse I can take?

she is deceased now but theystole over 200,000, from her and vanished,and I just discovered this,going through her papers.

1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: 1. Call the police/DA's office. 2. The mother-in law's heirs may be able to pursue a financial Elder Abuse claim against the financial advisor and his employer. 3. Depending on the type of financial adviser, there may be state/federal licensing agencies to whom a complaint can be made. Some of these may have a fund to compensate victims of theft.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.