Santa Ana, CA asked in Civil Rights, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for California

Q: If my neighbor throw a ball into my house many times, what can I do and what is my rights?

Until now, there is no significant damage but I feel like I have been bothered. One time, they made a big "boom" on the roof when I was taking a nap. Moreover, some previous times when they threw a ball in my house, I felt uncomfortable when they got into my house without asking. They also go through my house to back yard to get a ball without permission sometimes. I do not want everything go too far and make it like a big problem. I just want they stop throwing a ball in my house but they keep doing it again and again. One time, I talked with an adult but we could not get a deal. He was angry with me at end of conversation. So could you please tell me what I can do and what my rights is if they keep doing it? Can I call the police and make a complaint if they keep doing it but there is no significant damage?

Have a good one!

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Keep the ball. If the neighbor causes damage with the ball, then you can hold the neighbor responsible for whatever damage she caused. If the situation escalates, you can always call the police and make a complaint against your neighbor. You could even go to court and file a claim of harassment against your neighbor for disturbing your peace and quiet.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.