Seabrook, TX asked in Elder Law, Social Security, Estate Planning and Probate for Texas

Q: my Mother lives with me in Texas can my sibling in Ohio have power of attorney over her and control her money?

My Mother has lived with me for a year and three months. My sibling got POA before sending her to Texas

1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: No one can get a durable power of attorney over someone else's money. The person themselves must grant it. If your mother gave your sister a durable power of attorney, she can revoke it. If she now lacks legal capacity to manager her financial affairs (as testified by a doctor completing a Physician's Certificate of Medical Examination), you can apply for guardianship of her estate (also called conservatorship.) She may want to see an elder law attorney. You can find one in your area using the Find a Lawyer function on the website of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.