Sacramento, CA asked in Civil Rights, Estate Planning, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: What legal steps do i take to rid of somone i allowed to live in my house that i own for 5years free of charge&contrac

Not a tenet but homeless so i helped her out for 5years allowing her to stay there bc its a 2nd property i own but now i want her out

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Howell, MI

A: She IS your tenant, and if she won't leave voluntarily, you evict her the same way you would any other tenant ... it is just that you probably won't be able to claim any unpaid and due rent. If you don't know how to 'terminate' the tenancy, you should contact a local landlord/tenant lawyer to make sure you don't skip any steps that will make the process take longer than it would otherwise.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.