Rochester, NY asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: Just got contacted by NYPD detective for physical altercation with roommate [New York City]

[NYC] Last weekend, I got into a fight with my roommate who also happens to be my coworker. It started when he shoved me over something minor. Tensions have been building for some time but I agree that I responded poorly. I got angry and lunged at him. He retreated into his room and I knocked open his door and continued to attack him. I was drunk and received disturbing news from my family earlier that day so I was already in a poor mood, not that it justifies my actions. I realize I made a mistake breaking his door. My 3 friends are witnesses and separated us. He called 911 and 3 cops showed up that night. After inspecting the situation, they determined that no crime was committed and did not even ask for my name or ID. He asked then and there if he could press charges but the cops did not. I've since gotten the door fixed. Would I have to leave work if he gets a restraining order? I think he has no marks on him although I have a mark on my face. Would I haveThank you for your input!

1 Lawyer Answer
V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Hire either a domestic violence or criminal defense lawyer now!

I represented a retail employee whose coworker feared for their safety, had an order of protection entered with no language about the workplace, and employer had no choice but to fire the retail employee. New York state courts take any reasonable fear of safety by anyone very seriously regardless of intoxicants or alleged justifications. Time to lawyer up!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.