Los Angeles, CA asked in Immigration Law, Domestic Violence and Government Contracts for California

Q: US Citizen brought husband with CR1 Visa, he's physically, emotionally abusive, pressuring me to file i-751, what to do?

His true personality & intentions came out now in CA. He thought he was going to be granted the Permanent resident card instead he got 2yr conditional Visa. Main interest was to get his mother out of poverty & gain legal status for her. My life has been miserable for 1yr 1/2. He doesnt deserve that I lie on the i-751 that were a happy true marriage. Hes treated me bad, uses the Affidavit of support against me that I signed as a threat. Im truly sad he made me believe he truly loved me, for the 1st time in my life I had to accept I needed psychologist profesional help sessions in the effort to change things for our 1yr old son to have his father. Hes pressuring me to sign i-751. Once I married him starting discovering his mom is close friends with some mexican mafia members out of rage for not signing i-751 so her son can gain legal status, I truly believe she would send someone to kill me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To properly evaluate any legal question a lawyer needs a thorough summary of the facts. What you have shared is not much. If you are not clear then the lawyer will no doubt be challenged to give an accurate answer.

It is the same as using the adage for using a computer... “JUNK IN, JUNK OUT”.

You clearly have to see a divorce lawyer.......and hopefully one who knows immigration

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.