Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Government Contracts Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Sexual Harassment, Civil Litigation and Government Contracts for California on
Q: Are there circumstances that would allow a victim of child sexual assault to file a lawsuit after signing a release and

receiving payment in a out of court compensation program the defendant setup to cutoff potential lawsuits that were likely to be filed because of pending legislation that would revive statutes of limitations for past actions that were known to exist but barred because complaints were not filed in... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Feb 17, 2022

Likely not, but you need to have a personal injury attorney who specializes in sexual assault of minor cases look at the circumstances of the release. There are situations where releases can be set aside, but they are rare and narrow.

Good luck to you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts, Banking, Business Formation and Business Law for California on
Q: I received an email from " Jerome Powell " saying the federal reserve bank has millions o dollars in my name . There

Supposedly their is a large fund from the imf that belongs to me , it's been going on for 4 yrs now . What are the chances it's real ? I have acct numbers docket numbers but where can I validate them

Julie King
Julie King answered on Dec 27, 2021

It's almost certainly SPAM, but a lawyer would need to look at the actual email to tell one way or the other. Look at the email address from which it came. Does it end with .gov or .com? All government addresses should end with .gov. Also, if they ask you for your social security number or... Read more »

Q: Can congress form a city in a state by overriding state and local government
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 26, 2021

This question could be beyond the scope of this forum. Congress does have certain enumerated powers granted under Article I, which include collecting taxes, paying debts, providing for the common defense and general welfare, borrowing on the credit of the United States, regulating commerce, etc.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: My LLC got & spent $48k EIDL, but I'm now out of business & can't repay. If I dissolve b4 payment is due can I get out?

It's a business of one. The EIDL/SBA contract lists my LLC as the borrower but it's my name as the authorized signer and manager of the biz. Biz has no assets or collateral. If I close the biz can they come after me personally to repay EIDL? To get out of paying is there anything I must... Read more »

Julie King
Julie King answered on Mar 2, 2021

You cannot dissolve the LLC unless you can swear under penalty of perjury that it owes no debts. But the answer to your question will depend on the language in the loan documentation you signed. That is your contract. A lawyer would have to guess what your documents say in order to answer your... Read more »

Q: I don't believe there is a process for federal referendum or initiatives?

For instance where the initiative process enables citizens to bypass their state legislature by placing proposed statutes and, in some states, constitutional amendments on the ballot. - If you started at the state level could the citizens create legislation to have a federal referendum/initiative... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Feb 7, 2021

It doesn’t work that way. There are two separate systems: the federal system, and the state system. There is no federal analog to an initiative process. It is not possible to begin an initiative process in the state and then have it transfer over to the federal level. The United States... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: in simpler terms , what is an adjudication hearing

what is adjudication hearing of a property or parcel of land that is need of cleaning that authorizes Board of Supervisors to re enter the property for a period of 1 year after hearing without any further hearing

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Nov 20, 2020

it is a hearing where a decision/ judgment/ order is made

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: I am a staff psychiatrist in one of the state hospitals in California. I want to work as a contractor with another state

hospital. I was told I have to wait 2 years after I resign from my current job in order to apply as a contractor with the state hospital. How is this legal? I am not involved in any negotiations, planning, arrangements or any policy-making relevant to physician contractors. My current job is as a... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Sep 25, 2020

California strongly protects employees' rights to move from one job to another, and prohibits such as a restraint of trade. Any attempt to do what your present employer is trying to do is a violation of Business and Professions Code section 16600.

It would be wise for you to seek out...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: An elected board member applies for a job in the school district.

Only after she is informed that her name will go forward for approval by the board does she resign from the board. The superintendent, who was hired by the board just a few weeks before, is in the uncomfortable position of putting her name forward. The job is that of being his assistant and he has... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 27, 2020

Ah, the old smell test. Maybe you should get your concern as an agenda item before the entire board. Nepotism in employment is not prohibited, in PRIVATE EMPLOYMENT. however, (unless your last name is Trump) it is frowned upon in Public employment.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Q: My small town with a population less than 10K is on track to pay the city attorney 500K annually. Is this normal?
George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq. answered on May 8, 2020

It does seem excessive.

Did they handle any litigation for the City?

Maybe they should put it out for bid?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Who does make sure cities in a state ( California) comply with state laws?
Michael Doland
Michael Doland answered on Dec 24, 2019

Your question is too vague to permit any analysis. What laws?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Government Contracts, Libel & Slander and Native American Law for California on
Q: I wanted to know what I can do about TANF in pala Ca.? They have stressed me to the point of being ill and depressed.

I have proof that they mistreated me and recordings, I know that they have a personal vendetta with me.

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Sep 10, 2019

You have to provide a lot more detail in order to get decent legal advice. This is probably not the best forum for getting an answer for you. Contact the County Bar Association in the county in which the local office of TANF is located, and ask for a civil rights attorney referral. The initial... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Government Contracts for California on
Q: Won a Federal Government Purchase Order, Manufacturer not honoring their price quote they had provided us with initially

Hello, my firm won a Federal Government Purchase Order roughly $9k based on an initial quote received from a distributor of the goods who were in turn quoted by the manufacturer. Now that I have the PO on hand, manufacturer is not releasing the order because they are saying that they quoted the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 11, 2019

Free practical advice offered for the last 41 years to people starting or operating small businesses:

The main difference between successful small businesses and those that fail within a relatively short period of time is good legal advice. The owners of most successful small businesses...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation, Banking, Federal Crimes and Government Contracts for California on
Q: The judge didn't appoint a guardian ad litem my lawyer ask for it they never said he could cash my checks what do I do

Judge stated that guardian only gave rides help with housing health care mange money he doesn't give me my checks I'm homeless no doctor need meds

Ronald Mahurin
Ronald Mahurin answered on May 20, 2019

If the WCJ did not appoint a guardian then you have none and you should be cashing your checks, not someone else. Speak to the WC carrier and demand that the checks be sent directly to you. If someone then takes the checks and cashes them, it is a matter for the district attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: Falsely accusation by a co-worker. My Manager and that co-worker are best friend.

I received a falsely accused complaint from a co-worker for pushing and hitting her. The accusation in fact comes right after another co-worker complaint about her best friend (aka her direct supervisor and my supervisor) because the supervisor gave her work to the lower level employee. I belong to... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on May 15, 2019

You need to speak to your union representative right away. These kinds of interpersonal conflicts are very difficult to prevail in given the politics involved and the fact that so many things are subject to interpretation. If the union does not provide you with the assistance you need, you should... Read more »

Q: Can your SSA number be used in any part of the USA State federal coding system? County codes?

This would include birth certificate # address and phone number.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 18, 2018

I have no understanding as to what you are asking

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Domestic Violence and Government Contracts for California on
Q: US Citizen brought husband with CR1 Visa, he's physically, emotionally abusive, pressuring me to file i-751, what to do?

His true personality & intentions came out now in CA. He thought he was going to be granted the Permanent resident card instead he got 2yr conditional Visa. Main interest was to get his mother out of poverty & gain legal status for her. My life has been miserable for 1yr 1/2. He doesnt... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Feb 19, 2018

To properly evaluate any legal question a lawyer needs a thorough summary of the facts. What you have shared is not much. If you are not clear then the lawyer will no doubt be challenged to give an accurate answer.

It is the same as using the adage for using a computer... “JUNK IN, JUNK...
Read more »

Q: Can I abrogate an agreement for plaintiffs to accept a lump sum and together decide the allottments?

Three of us disabled persons have a suit against an apartment owner. I was trapped in broken elevator twice (27 minutes and 51 minutes), had to live in an outside hotel for months, and because the disabled lift was broken I missed medical appointments.

Before mediation I signed an agreement... Read more »

N. Munro Merrick
N. Munro Merrick answered on Dec 21, 2017

You have an attorney. He should be able to answer all your questions. If you have a difference of opinion about whether your psychiatric problems should have been included in the mediation, tell him that. If you are not satisfied with his explanation, tell him that you want to get a second opinion... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts, Employment Discrimination and Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: Can I move case out of state in case of collusion? I don't live where case is filed. How can I proceed?

Is an employment issue. I appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Apr 9, 2017

You can seek remedies such as sanctions motions or motions for recusal if there is collusion or another such injustice in your case, or you may seek a transfer of venue to another court in the same jurisdiction if applicable. But jurisdiction is not a dynamic notion and thus cannot be changed. More... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: The City of San Diego is not paying us (we are LLC) for a job that has been delivered. What can we do?

What is the best way to work with government when you do not have a PO#?

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Mar 30, 2017

You may have to file a claim for breach of contract, or you may need to sue. What does the contract say about resolving disputes? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Employment Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: Can the government tell my brother and I we cannot share employees between our similar businesses when we share offices?

We share land and office space and have a few employees that take care of customers and we split the salary. We are being told we cannot bid contracts we have had for years if we don't change this. It seems to me that many companies including law offices that will split office space and hire... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Mar 17, 2017

What is the basis for their decision? Are these special contracts? Are you a minority-owned company with special access to certain contracts? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.