Williston, ND asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Constitutional Law for North Dakota

Q: On 02/15/2018 my paycheck was garnished in the amount of $430.

I was never notified by my employer nor the company that put a judgement against me. The company is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. I have been a resident of Minot, North Dakota for 3 years. On 02/23/2018 I went down to talk to Human resources and they told me that the garnishment has been immediately stopped by Ward County States attorney due to the fact that the company did not follow proper procedures for North Dakota state law. The funds that were taken from me were not supposed to be taken according to my states attorney. How do I proceed with this issue?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: You hire a lawyer who deals with debt collection issues for consumers and see if they can get your money back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.