North Dakota Collections Questions & Answers

Q: If a family member dies what happens to their debt

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Probate for North Dakota on
Answered on May 5, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
They may make a claim against the estate.

Q: On 02/15/2018 my paycheck was garnished in the amount of $430.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Constitutional Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Mar 2, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
You hire a lawyer who deals with debt collection issues for consumers and see if they can get your money back.

Q: how do I stop child support for a child that has been living on his own for 2 yrs, outside of PR?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Collections for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 21, 2018
Michael David Siegel's answer
Bring an application in the court that entered the order.

Q: My wife has severe mental health issues. Her doctor bills are more than we can pay.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 17, 2018
Lucas Wynne's answer
The way I see it, you likely have three options: get on Medicaid, declare bankruptcy or both. Although I am not a bankruptcy lawyer, bankruptcy can actually be helpful to many low-income people who find themselves with a stack of bills they are unable to pay.

Q: My son damaged a vehicle while at school. What is my responsibilities and what are my rights in the matter?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Collections for North Dakota on
Answered on Dec 29, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Send a polite but crisp letter asking them to provide proof of the damage. However, if you have homeowners or vehicle insurance you will want to hand this over to them. If your son did the act, you may wish to consider talking to a therapist/counselor about how to appropriately discipline your son by which I mean the ways that may be counter-instinctual but work better than the instinctive ways we all wish to use to reach out and touch the youth.

Q: I got a summons/complaint delivered to me by the sherriff that looks like it was not filed with the court system.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for North Dakota on
Answered on Dec 28, 2017
Lucas Wynne's answer
No attorney can advise you without an attorney-client relationship being formed. In North Dakota, they are not required to file when they serve you.

Q: Dad died 15 months ago in ND and step mom died this month. no children together. Next of kin is? Her mom is alive but 90

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Collections and Probate for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 6, 2017
Jim Ed "Jed" Franklin's answer
Your question is missing some important information, feel free to contact me via email so I can better answer it. But generally, you should have some interest in your father's estate, though it sounds like there is not much in it. If so, then the "spousal share" may eat up all of the estate. The spousal share is what your stepmother gets from your dad's estate. Nevertheless, it is possible that you are entitled to what is in your father's estate. If your stepmother is the personal...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.