Q: I’m 16 and want to move to a town an hour away, could I do that without parental consent?

I have a job and I am a freshman in highschool but my mom is on drugs and my dad isn’t in the picture and my grandma is mentally abusive bad, but I have a really great friend (he’s 18, has 2 jobs and has a car) that I could be roommates with. I also have a lot of family in that town and I would move in with them but there’s already a lot of people living there. If I were to move out without consent and my family doesn’t have enough money for court or lawyers or anything can I? Thank you in advance

1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You need permission of your parents or legal guardian.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.