Raeford, NC asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: I am a 17yr old in NC and I want to leave my house... i know i need to plan so I need specifics.

I am 17 and life in my house is getting bad, my dad has been telling me we arent going to make it in this house together, i keep getting in trouble part of it my fault and the other side is not. I dont want to be in this hostile environment and I want my parents to understand that if we cant work this out, I have other ways to handle these situations. If i go live with a friend or another family, will they get in trouble? If I leave will the cops come get me even if my life is not endangered. How long can I stay with someone else....any other extra and imperative info would be most welcome. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: At 17, you be respectful and do what your parents tell you. At 18 - do what you want.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.