Raeford, NC asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: If my parents put a restraining order on my 18 year old boyfriend when I was 16 and I am now 17, can it be lifted

I was sixteen and my bf was 18 when the put a restraining order on him, its been about a year since everything happened, i am now 17 and I want to get rid of it. Is there any way it can be appealed or lifted if i give a statement?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: At 17 why do you think you have any say in the matter or that a statement from you is in any way relevant? Ask your parents, it is their restraining order not yours. At 18 the restraining order will no longer apply to you unless you are still living with your parents and even then, only when you are at their residence or in their presence.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.