Bainbridge, NY asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for New York

Q: Girlfriend in county jail, being denied suboxone while pregnant even though its prescribed by her physician. What to do?

She has been in county jail since last Tuesday (4/10) and is experiencing serious withdrawal from not taking her suboxone. The jail refuses to contact the physician to get the prescription for her, and the physician won't talk to anyone that isn't her because there were no consent forms filled out. She is currently pregnant and we run the risk of having serious complications both to her and the baby unless she can start taking her prescription. She is in until 4/23 but I feel that withdrawing for 2 weeks is more than enough to cause a miscarriage or serious damage to the baby. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer

Timothy Denison

  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Have her lawyer redocket the case and get an order from the judge directing the jail to deliver and administer the medication in accordance with the physician s instructions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.