Albany, NY asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for New York

Q: We frequently have our only exit to the house blocked. Sometimes by bicycles and chairs, often by partiers and smokers.

We basically often have to ask for permission from people intoxicated and stoned to enter or leave our porch. Many do not live in building. Partying with neighbors. They have other exits. They are unfriendly. One of them down there has already threatened to go ballistic on us. Police say these things can have different meanings. Jackknives are sometimes out. A guy down there has swung numchucks around. Is there any recourse? This is only a drop in the bucket. Landlord has threatened to throw us out if we don't like the conditions.

**Didn't see a reply button. Is that really your answer? Of course we have plenty of reason to break a lease.**

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This would violate your lease, but if police will not do anything, your recourse is to leave by breaking your lease. Be sure to document with photos these issues so you can show a court later if needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.