Rocky Mount, NC asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for North Carolina

Q: Will I get in trouble because I lied ?

Will I get in trouble because I lied ?

When I was 16 I was dating a guy that was a few years older than me , my parents found out about the relationship and went to cops about it . I Lied and said I was talking to him before I was 16 and that wasn’t the truth, he ended up going to jail. I would like to come out and tell the truth but I’m scared of the consequences.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bill Powers
Bill Powers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: First, I must say it took guts to write this inquiry. We all make mistakes, especially when we're young, not fully understanding the consequences or how our actions can terribly hurt others.

Second, given the nature and type of the inquiry, one would have to assume we're talking about statutory rape or indecent liberties criminal charges in North Carolina.

In-person communications with an experienced criminal defense attorney would be appropriate. As good as Justia is for general inquiries, the subject matter is WAY too sensitive for a public forum.

If someone has been wrongly convicted, is sitting in prison, or has a felony on their record, one would hope the legal system would want to correct that injustice.

Generally speaking, it would be quite unusual to see someone in trouble for literally setting the record straight, especially given the age and pressure one might endure from parents and law enforcement. But, it does make sense to talk to an attorney about all that.

Put simply, once that train gets rolling, it can be hard to stop.

Believe-it-or-not, judges, prosecutors, and law enforcement do not want innocent people sitting in prison, convicted of life-changing felony charges. Indeed, they are as committed to justice and the Rule of Law as much as anyone you'll ever meet.

BEST BET: Talk to an attorney ASAP. Most lawyers provide a free, confidential consultation.

Again, you are to be applauded for wanting to do the right thing. Talk to a lawyer ASAP and hopefully end this living hell an innocent person might be in.

Bill Powers

North Carolina Criminal Defense Lawyers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.