Houston, TX asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: Hello, I need advice about a mortgage of a home that caught on fire

I have a manufacture home that caught on fire. the insurance sent me a check in my name and the mortgage company name. the company is refusing to send me copies of the documentation required to prove the amount that I owe for the house and they will not sign the check. they want me to sign the check and hand it over to them and it feels uncomfortable doing so.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Have a local lawyer send them a letter requesting a payoff amount. They can determine exactly what is owed and negotiate deposit and payment of the check.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.