Concord, NC asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: How do I get a no contact order reversed

A argument with my husband and myself went a little too far on his end. EMS was called and the sheriff also arrived, by this time my husband had left. The sheriffs office arrested him for assault on a female, a judge then set his bond and ordered him no contact with me. I didn’t want the charges, just needed to be checked out by EMS. Family pressured me into taking out a restraining order which thankfully was denied, but I still cannot speak with my husband. Is it possible to have the no contact order reversed? If so, how? I just want to talk things over with him and work things out, I’m debating on calling the DA, but I don’t want to cause more damage by doing so.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If an argument with your husband resulted in a legitimate and reasonable need for you to be checked out by EMS - then your calling it 'going a little too far' is likely a clear screaming indication of your improper denial of the seriousness of the event. A seriousness that apparently your family can see as they encouraged you to get a restraining order that likely should not have been denied. Odds are you need to be in contact with a divorce attorney not your husband. On the outside chance that I, your family and likely your friends are wrong - perhaps consider talking to a counselor or therapist. Especially if this is not the first time he has 'gone a little to far'.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.