Normal, IL asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Illinois

Q: I'm facing harassment, libel, slander, and defamation online and in person. I have evidence. What to do next?

This has been ongoing from multiple sources for years but I have just recently decided to stop putting up with it and started gathering evidence. Some of it I think is criminal cyberbullying and I'm also interested in pursuing a civil suit for defamation. I'm emotionally distraught and have people actively trying to ruin my reputation with false allegations on top of harassment. I took about 50 screenshots from the last 2 weeks but there's more that I can no longer access. Should I go to the police first or see an attorney first? What kind of attorney should I see? Is it important that they are local?

I just want to be done with this and have people stop dragging me through the mud. Thanks!

1 Lawyer Answer
T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your next step depends how much you are willing spend to take legal action. As a suggestion, hire an attorney who sends a letter to the people who bothering you that you plan to take legal action if they do not stop. If they don't stop after they receive the legal letter, you will have to take formal legal action, which would be very costly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.