Coventry, RI asked in Criminal Law and Elder Law for Rhode Island

Q: My attorney has ignored my emails,phone calls, even 2 certified letters for 2 yrs now. 6+ yr case, what do I do?

I expressed if he did not want to handle this case to surrender with no pay so I can hire another attorney in 2 certified letters sent to both his locations and he never responded. I gave him no money and he quoted when I hired him “ if I don’t win this case, you pay me nothing” he passed on the case in court in 2013, hasn’t communicated anything with me. I want to file a complaint against him, I’m not sure what to do, I wrote letters to AG office, anyone I could and no answers from anyone. No one will help me.

Edit: I have seemed other attorneys and they won’t help unless I fire him, I have a $20,000 plus invoice/ bill with this attorney, I’m afraid if I fire him he will still make me pay the $20k.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: My gosh, do you need to be hit by lightning first? Do you think if you wait another year, this attorney will wake-up and call you? It does not sound that you signed an engagement letter with this attorney. To determine if you have a malpractice case against this attorney, would depend on the damages you suffered, i.e., the statute limitations would prevent you to move forward with this case.

Go engage another attorney, if you believe you have a valid case!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.