Erie, PA asked in Car Accidents and Small Claims for Pennsylvania

Q: If a person in pa was not authorized to drive a motor vehicle and was involved in a car accident does my ins pay out?

Does my insurance pay for the party who is not at fault vehicle damages?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If that person was at fault? Or not? You aren't being clear.

If your vehicle was at fault, then your vehicle's insurance will pay for the driver's mistake. If the person was not authorized to drive that vehicle, the insurance may either a) not pay or b)pay under a "reservation of rights."

Much depends on the "not authorized." If the owner is just saying that to protect their rates that's one thing. If they reported it stolen that's another. "I told him not to use it"(but left the keys lying around" isn't a good defense.

If you were in the not at fault vehicle, then a) if you have collision run it through that and let them sort it out b) if you were injured you have a claim for injuries and should consult an attorney. Injuries may eventually be covered by the other vehicle. Also if you have "uninsured motorist coverage" that may cover you.

Like many members of the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, we give free consultations so that people who were injured through no fault of their own can know their rights. We also take calls evenings and weekends.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.