San Diego, CA asked in Collections, Small Claims, Consumer Law and Business Formation for California

Q: Trying to collect on a judgement on a business that dissolved after my judgement. What do I do

The company I won my judgement against change the name of the business and started running the business under this new name on 5/17/2017 5 days before our first court date which they never showed up for all three times. The company did a article of dissolution a month after my judgment was entered which was January 9th 2018 they dissolved it in February 8th 2018. Can you even start a brand new business and operating out of there before the other business is dissolved?

1 Lawyer Answer
Vernon Charles Tucker
Vernon Charles Tucker
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Simi Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the Corporation dissolved typically you are out of luck and have an uphill battle in front of you to enforce the judgment.

However, its complex and requires motion work, but if certain facts are present you could argue the new corporation is the same as the old corporation or is an "Alter Ego" of the old corporation. This may open other doors that could apply pressure to judgment debtor if they are one in the same.

I would look at the amount of the judgment, and see whether it's worth it to pursue or not. Post judgment enforcement is riddled with exceptions and you may need to contact a post judgment attorney and discuss the matter further. Good luck and please feel free to reach out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.