Alexandria, VA asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island

Q: Where can I find statutes or cases that support that OK has subject matter jurisdiction over my case?

I am on active military orders in RI, owned a home in NC that was rented by tenants, who abandoned the property, breached contract and now live in OK. NC statute chptr 7A, Art 19, section 213 states I cannot file in the state because none of the defendants live there any longer. I filed in OK in the county in which the defendants live, went to court this past week, the judge agreed that the case was properly before him, but my case got moved to district court so they can interpret a foreign state's contract law because he did not feel comfortable imposing judgement on NC contract law, which he knew nothing about. The opposing attorney is objecting to the jurisdiction determination and will fight me again in district court. Where can I find more supporting facts that I can use in court to support that OK does indeed have subject matter jursidiction?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Your best avenue would be to engage an attorney practicing where the case is properly filed. There are myriad resources online for legal information, statutes, and case law along with many law schools that could provide you with the information you seek. However, a practicing attorney should be able to address these issues more quickly that you might, even if you had the time, money, and inclination to attend a law school.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.