Rhode Island Contracts Questions & Answers

Q: is an attorney not allowed to practice law in RI, if the out of state parent company is an unlicensed debt collector

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for Rhode Island on
Answered on Apr 3, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
You will have to better explain all the facts because your question does not make sense as written.

But let me try: If you are trying to ask whether an out-of-state debt collector company must have a license to collect bad debts in Rhode Island, the probable answer is no.

If you are asking whether out-of-state debt collection companies must only use a lawyer licensed in Rhode Island when collecting debts in Rohde Island, the probable answer is also no.

The reason (a...

Q: hello i have lost an $2200 camera that i rented whats going to happen to me ?

3 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Products Liability and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Answered on Feb 13, 2019
Thomas Briody's answer
If you truly lost the item, then you have most likely not committed a crime. However, you are responsible for the loss, and you will have to reimburse the person who loaned you the camera. That means you are most likely going to have to pay the value of the camera back.

Q: Where can I find statutes or cases that support that OK has subject matter jurisdiction over my case?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on
Answered on Sep 24, 2018
Neville Bedford's answer
Your best avenue would be to engage an attorney practicing where the case is properly filed. There are myriad resources online for legal information, statutes, and case law along with many law schools that could provide you with the information you seek. However, a practicing attorney should be able to address these issues more quickly that you might, even if you had the time, money, and inclination to attend a law school.

Q: We are currently unable to pay the full amount of rent. However, the house is poorly maintained. What can be done?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Contracts and Child Support for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jun 11, 2018
Neville Bedford's answer
It may be time to look for: 1) a new, different, and better maintained residence/apartment and/ or 2) a second source of income and/or 3) an attorney to help you defend against a likely eviction case should your landlord decide to take you to court. Contact your local CAP agency for help with #1 https://publicportal.courts.ri.gov/PublicPortal/

Q: Is the decriminalization of minor marijuana possession in Rhode Island retroactive if the conviction happened before the

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Rhode Island on
Answered on May 27, 2018
Neville Bedford's answer
no, see: http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE21/21-28/21-28-4.01.HTM

There is no retroactive date enabled/listed for this law. Meet with a practicing attorney to explore other ways to approach this including possible expungement.

Q: How can a member of a Laborers union fight against being wrongfully terminated due to nepotism by the union steward??

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Contracts and Employment Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Mar 3, 2018
Bernard P. Healy's answer
I do not have sufficient information to answer this question fully or accurately. Let me give you my initial impressions. I assume you are a member of a Laborers Union which has assigned you for many years to a specific business. You have apparently performed your job well and you are being forced out of your position because the union steward wants a relation of his to fill that position.

While discrimination is barred under many State and Federal Laws, including Rhode Island's Fair...

Q: I have moved from one my apartment bldg into a smaller one that's was cheaper, same landlord. Since we asked for the 200

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on
Answered on Aug 3, 2017
Kas DeCarvalho's answer
Well...if you don't have a written agreement, then what you technically have is a month-to-month lease...and what the rent is supposed to be is admittedly a bit of a mystery, but at worst, it's the rent from your old/other apartment. Typically that would be decided by the history of what you had been doing before...but since you actually moved to a smaller apartment, it seems reasonable to argue that you would pay a reasonable amount less. But assuming that you and the Landlord agreed that...

Q: My lease ended in Rhode Island however the landlord is selling the house and now I'm month to month until they decide.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on
Answered on Aug 3, 2017
Kas DeCarvalho's answer
The shortest, best answer is..."it depends on the terms of the Lease Agreement." But based on your question, I suggest that the answer is, "probably not." Let me clarify a few points, though: First, as you know, many State statutes permit landlords to charge both a "Security Deposit" and request that the last month's rent be paid in advance...and the rules for each of those tend to differ. Typically, Lease Agreements don't permit the Security Deposit to be used as a payment for the last...

Q: Sold a pair of shoes about a month ago, no bill of sales was made up now buyer contacting me what should i do?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jan 30, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Not sure what they are contacting you about. I assume this is an ebay or similar tansaction. You would only be open for misrepresentation if he can prove the shoes aren't what they say they are and you willfully mislead him. If you talked by text now is a good time to download that. Also get a screen capture of the offer he responded to. If you said "label says..." as opposed to "these House of Wanque shoes..." you are impliedly warranting they are what they say they are.

A lot also...

Q: Is network news liable to a viewer/investor/voter if they entered into any contracts based on inaccurate media coverage?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Communications Law, Contracts and Election Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Dec 20, 2016
Glenn B. Manishin's answer
No. Fraud requires an intention to defraud, knowingly false statements and a duty of care to the other party. Largely the same for securities law purposes. News media are supposed to be accurate but do not have a legal obligation to investors, voters or even viewers.

Q: What do I have to do to get a legal document stating my son is my caregiver we do not want yo get paid for it

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Elder Law and Estate Planning for Rhode Island on
Answered on Oct 6, 2016
Neville Bedford's answer
Meet with an attorney to create documents necessary for your son to act on your behalf.

Q: Hi, my husband hired someone a couple of years ago to help with developing a website and purchasing a domain name.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Contracts and Internet Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jun 13, 2016
Neville Bedford's answer
Your husband may need to enlist the services of one of our fine attorneys to resolve the situation. Have him dig up the agreements, email, and other relevant information and contact any attorney he chooses.

Q: How do I break a construction contract without massive compensation fees

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Rhode Island on
Answered on Feb 1, 2016
Neville Bedford's answer
If it is within three days from signing the contract, you may be within your rights to renege on the deal. If you are more than that in time, consider retaining an attorney to assist you in negotiating a compromise that will save the contractor the trouble of filing the case in court.

Q: Is a contractors invoice the same as a contract?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Rhode Island on
Answered on Dec 10, 2015
Neville Bedford's answer
Take the documents to an attorney for a precise review.

Q: How do you know if small claims court is the appropriate forum for handling a dispute with a roofing contractor?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Rhode Island on
Answered on Dec 19, 2012
Neville Bedford's answer
$2500 is the jurisdictional limit of the Small Claims Court - So, as long as your damages are not in excess of that amount,Small claims may be a good place for you. However, if the remedial work exceeded that amount, you may wish to enter the District - or even Superior Court. The contractor's Board also has a dispute resolution system that may well be worth investigating. see: http://www.crb.ri.gov/search.php


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.